That very much depends on the pension you are considering transferring and the scheme you are transferring to.

For any defined contribution pension worth more than £30,000 with a guarantee such as a guaranteed annuity rate (GAR) you will need to need to take advice.

If you are considering transferring a defined benefit scheme that is valued over 30,000 pounds, you will also need take regulated advice from a pension transfer specialist with the appropriate permissions.